25 March 2018

Being Mindful | A Fad?


The more I learnt about mindfulness, the more I can to realise how much sense it made and how it could impact my life for the better. I know that being mindful and being in tune with you intuition sounds a little hippy dippy, I thought the same thing, but it doesn’t have to be. Once you have a good understanding of what mindfulness is and how it can be applied to your life, you can get creative and put your own spin on it. The following is just a few of my thoughts and how mindfulness happens in my life currently but I’d love to hear your thoughts in the comments. 

Day To Day Life
I’ve tried to stop putting pressure on myself when it comes to doing things a certain way, to my idea of perfect or doing something to make others happy when it doesn’t make me feel the same way. I’ve always put other firsts and it’s taken me years to even begin putting myself first in all aspects of my life. I now feel like I do things because I genuinely want to do them, it makes me happy and can enrich my life. I no longer see the point in doing anything, for myself or for others, that doesn’t bring happiness to me or my life. 

How I Practice Mindfulness
When thinking of mindfulness I immediately think of slowing down. So if life is getting a little to busy, whether that’s in all aspects of my life or just the one, I remind myself that I don’t everywhere at once and neither does my mind. I try to focus on what I’m doing t the present moment opposed to what I will being doing later. Mediation is a great way to slow the mind right down and bring you back to the present moment. Mediations don’t have to be long to be effective. If you’ve got a spare two minutes, take that time to step away, re-focus and bring yourself back to the present moment. When it comes to slowing my physical body down, I love to do a little bit of yoga or stretching. Again, slowing the physical body down but letting it be beneficial as the same time. Yoga is a great time to focus on the physical body but it’s great for your mind as well. 

Why Being Mindful Doesn’t Mean You Live With Your Head In The Clouds
When the whole mindfulness topic came to life, a lot of us just thought it was another fad, another trend. And while I guess it was, a lot of us saw it for more than that, including myself. I’m guessing a lot of people probably presume that being more mindful in life means you might be living your life in the clouds, which I don’t think is the case at all. All mindfulness really is, is making yourself more aware of what you’re doing in every capacity and I think that’s really important. I can honestly say that I’ve never felt more in tune with what I’m doing and what’s going on in my life, along with all the processes that go with that. 

Listen To Yourself and Your Intuition
 I want you to all leave this post thinking about this. Why do we crave other peoples approval? Why do we trust them more than we trust ourselves? We all do it. We all crave other people’s approval but why do we trust them more than we do ourselves? I think opinions are great, they make us who we are and essentially reflect our beliefs and morals. But I think opinions should stay just that, opinions. I get it, listening to what we truly want is scary and something we all struggle with. Society is constantly telling us we need to do XYZ and to be like ABC. I know that over the past year or so, I’ve started to trust myself a lot more and I’ve learnt that our initial gut instinct and intuition is what we should run with. Maybe mindfulness has a part to play in changing the levels in which we trust ourselves? What do you think? 

B x

No comments:

Post a Comment