31 December 2020

Goodbye 2020, Hello 2021


2019 New Years feels like a life time ago. Looking back, if 2019 me could see what 2020 had install for all of us, she would have been extremely surprised. In amongst a year where we've been all pushed to our limits, we've also learnt an incredible amount. About ourselves as individuals, what we can achieve when we band together but also what truly matters most to us all. 

It would be easy to look back on 2020 and wish it all away but as always, no matter what the year brings, there's always something to give us perspective, something to teach us a lesson and even if we look hard enough, something to be grateful for. 

2020, you've been a hell of a year but I thank you for all that you've taught me, the perspective you've given me and the opportunity for me to show gratitude. 2020, you've given me the ability to focus on my perspective and reminded me often of how privileged I really am.

"We are all in the same storm, but not in the same boat." 

When COVID-19 started to spread and countries across the world began to close boarders to protect their citizens, I began to realise more than ever how privileged and lucky I am to live in New Zealand. And one thing that really stood out to me during this time is that regardless of where you are in the world and how well your country has handled the COVID-19 Global Pandemic, your feelings are valid. At the end of the day, you're the one that living them, no one can tell you how to feel. 

In 2020 I had a safe home to reside in, a loved one living with me, food on the table and a reasonably stable financial situations which allowed me access to essential services when I needed them, access to healthcare provides by countless selfless individuals and access to contact friends and family when I needed support - so many wonderful things so many didn't have access to this year. 

I don't even know where to begin when it comes to appreciating my loved ones. My parents, step parents, brothers, sisters, extended family, best friends and work colleagues - you're all wonderful and words can't begin to explain how grateful I am to have you all in my life. I don't believe we could've gotten through this year without our loved ones, the ones that we share the smiles along with the tears with, the ones who cheered us on and the ones who had our backs. 

I know how lucky I am to have such incredible people in my life, equally I know how how so many people have lost loved ones this year. To have lost someone in a year that already was so difficult can only have brought the unimaginable grief. Know that I'm thinking of you and sending you lots of love. 

To our frontline workers, thank you for your selflessness, bravery and compassion. You've been fighting for us in a way that is simply un-parallel - grateful and thankful are simply not big enough words to describe how much we appreciate you. Countless lives have been saved and that's thanks to your strength and determination. 

After the year we've all had, I'm simply grateful to be alive and breathing. Look after yourself and enjoy the holidays. 

Love always, B x 

No comments:

Post a Comment