No one enjoys that feeling of not being able to get themselves out of bed in mornings. When it’s dark, cold and we’ve got a to do list the length of our arm getting up is the last thing we all want to do. Everything feels so much more difficult in the winter, I’m gave some days it even feels impossible. For some, they love winter but I’m 100% a summer gal. There are a few fail safe ways that I rely on to get through the Winter and to help things a little easier.
Many of us can deal with the icy cold weather but it’s the dark that really gets us. I really struggle waking up to darkness outside, which is inevitable in the early hours of Winter morning. If we’re lucky, some days we’ll actually get a few hours of sunshine otherwise it’s mostly cloudy, rainy and gloomy. I mean we’re pretty much to get any day light at all because for example, Alaska they only get a total of 4 hours of light. I don’t know about you, but that really doesn’t sound any fun at all. There really no way to get around the darkness and I have to admit I do feel sorry for all those that leave home in the dark and then get home in the dark. That means if you didn’t have the chance to get outside during breaks, you’d never have a chance to see day light which can be hard on the mind and body. As humans, we need Vitamin D and it’s easy to begin to lack in over autumn and winter when we don’t have the chance to get outside as often. The darkness definitely isn’t something that is greatly serious but it definitely can be difficult at times.
Like mentioned above, there’s no way way to deal with the darkness that Winter brings but here are a few ideas.
- Get outside when possible. Get some fresh air, it’ll do you the world of good.
- Find something about autumn & winter you enjoy. For me it’s the colours, styles, bubble baths & hot drinks.
- Talk to people about how you’re feeling. Chances are the feel the same way do you do.
Oh, I hate the cold and hate having to where so many layers just to keep warm. But in reality unless you for afford to stay at home all day in bed, there is no real other option. You’ve just got to find a way to deal with icy cold temperatures. It’s just not the drop in temperature I cannot deal with it’s also the brisk wind and icy cold rain. Together, that’s just a rough combination.
Really, we’ve just go to to suck it up, stay as warm as possible and wait it out until summer. Regardless of all that, here’s how I try to keep warm anyway.
- Dress accordingly. Winter really ain’t the time to have your legs out and wearing sleeveless tops. Remember you can still be stylish while keeping warm.
- Invest in a good pair of gloves, a scarf and coat.
- Thermals are your new best pal!
Okay, so as lovely as winter can be sometimes, it can also be incredibly stressful. I mean life can be stressful all year round but the yucky weather can make it hard to be motivated to do anything. There’s so much pressure to be happy all the time but realistically that’s just not achievable. Stress is just one of the inevitable things in life but what it comes down to is how to choose to deal with it all and how to choose to look after yourself in a time of need.
Looking after myself and self care is really important to me. As someone to can become stressed very easily I’ve put into practice a few things to help reduce stress levels.
- Take time out when possible. 5 minutes or half an hour, anything is better than nothing.
- Plan and allow wiggle time. Events and appointments are always subject to change.
- Be kind to yourself and don’t beat yourself up for not being able to do everything.
- Sleep and rest as much as possible.
- Don’t be afraid to say no.
- Never apologise for not being ‘happy enough’.
Do you struggle with winter? How do you cope?
Much love, B x