18 April 2019

Nighttime Self Care Rituals To Adopt


I find both the beginning & the end of my days to be my favourites because they’re both normally pretty peaceful. The beginning & ending of my days is time I’ve allowed for rituals & habits that motivate & inspire me. Those rituals & habits that I’m talking about are what keep sane during times when everything seems out of my control. In this post I want to focus on those nighttime rituals & habits that make my evenings stress free. 

Braindump
I was a little unsure of this concept to begin with but it’s been such a lifesaver. Sometimes I get home from a hectic day & I feel like my brain is going to explode. Rather than that happening & loosing any kind of useful information, I write. Doesn’t necessarily have to make any sense but whatever is in my head at the time ends up on paper. Afterwards, I can then go through everything & put different pieces of information in the right place so I’ll be able to find them when next needed. It’s one of the best ways I’ve found to help with mental clarity. 

Get Comfy
Getting into comfy clothes for the night is one of the first things I do as soon as I’m home. Nothing beats getting out of your jeans & putting on some cozy PJs. Doing this helps change my mindset from work mode to home/self care mode. It’s like a signifier to my brain that I’m no longer working & from this point forward everything I do is for me, myself & I. 

Mediation
Chances are you’ve heard me talk about my love for mediation so I’ll keep this sort. Mediation has been apart of my evening rituals & habits for a long time now & again this is a great practice for clearing & cleansing your mind from a long day at work. 

Beauty Rituals
This is the one time that multitasking is totally okay. Taking a bath a unwind after a long day? Read. Taking a quick shower? Imagine the stress of the day washing away. Forgive yourself for the things that didn’t go as planned & let the stress go. Visualise it leave your body. Listen to a podcast or an audiobook. While you’re brushing your teeth you can make a mental note of all the things that your grateful for & remember all the lovely things that happened to you during your day. Even if you’ve had somewhat of a bad day, there is always something to feel grateful for, we just have to pay more attention to it. 

Taking time out for yourself doesn’t have to involve anything complicated. It is however, very important to look out for not just your physical wellbeing but also for your mental wellbeing. Practising self care, taking a little break when you need to & listening to your body & your needs is the best thing you can do to avoid sudden burnout, breakdown or overwhelm. It’s important to be their for your family & friends - but it’s even more important that you be there & show up for yourself. 

B x 

No comments:

Post a Comment