16 February 2021

Sustainable Beauty Swaps


I'm always trying to do a little better when it comes to sustainability. It's easy to have my tot bags at the ready & to fill your recycling bin but what about your beauty routine? I did some research into what I can do better, products I can invest in & I was pleasantly surprised. There are SO many things you can do & I wanted to share some of the ways we can be a little kinder to the planet. 

Refill Your Products 
It's an option that is slowly filtering into the beauty world & it's such a great idea! Buy a product, love it, use it up & then refill it! It's a fantastic idea & something I hope a lot more brands get on board with. 

Convert To Bamboo 
Embarrassingly, I was going through a pack of cotton pads, on average, every three weeks before a discovered their reusable counterparts & there are a few different options. I have been using these EverEco Bamboo Washable Makeup Remover Pads for the past six months & they are incredible! I use them, throw them in the little bag they come with & add them to the wash with whatever I've got in there & they come out looking brand new! A wee tip would be to try dampening them a little before applying product to them so they don't soak up the product like a sponge. 

Ditch The Sheet Masks 
I've never really been a big sheet mask gal & although there are some sheet masks that are made from biodegradable materials, most packaging options aren't which isn't too fab if you
re trying to make your routine more sustainable. Use up the ones you already have & see if you can find a similar, more sustainable product to replace your favourite sheet masks with. 

Reusable Buds 
This isn't something I've tried personally but upon reading it online I was very intrigued! It does sound super random but now that I think about it some more, cotton buds are so handy to have sitting in your bathroom & I'm always reaching for them. The ones recommended to me were from 'The Humble Co' & they look like they'd work well. I'm definitely going to have to try some out! I'll link some for those here in New Zealand can easily get their hands on. 

Turn Off The Tap
It's such a small change but it can make a huge difference in your water & energy consumption. So whenever you're brushing your teeth, shaving or throwing in a leave-in conditioner turn off your water supply. If you can handle it, which I can't, a slightly cooler shower will boost your circulation & is better for your skin, hair & nails in the long-run & again save on all that good stuff too. 

Use Stuff Up
As someone who enjoys trying every product recommended to her, it's ironic I'm writing this but I think we've all come a long way since having multiple back ups of products & having over 500 lipstick choices. Over the years, I've cut back my collection massively & consciously try not to make purchases in categories that are already occupied. 

Recycling 
A lot of products I don't end up using go to friends & family but I've recently found out that their are beauty counters that now accept beauty empties! Make sure they're rinsed throughly before dropping off & separate any pumps & pipettes as these might not be accepted for recycling! You can always check with your local counters to see what will & won't be accepted! 

B x 



No comments:

Post a Comment