27 April 2017

Planning For A Successful Day


There is always so much to get done and just not enough time in the day. But sometimes we just have to accept not everything is going to get done. Time management is such a massive part of being organised and successful. It’s important the we become the master of time management. 

Step One: Set A Plan For The Day
If you want to get something done, decide when and where, otherwise take it off your to do list. Everyone is going to be different in regards to want will work for them, whether that is planning digitally or on paper. Regardless of which you prefer, I recommend having a place for all appointments, meetings and time specific tasks, this may be in your iCal or diary. You’re also going to want to create a to do list for all the tasks that need doing throughout the day. Again, this could be digitally or on paper. Remember to be realistic, by doing this you’re not going to feel defeated when you see a long list of tasks you couldn’t get to. 

Step Two: Refocus 
Manage you day hour by hour. Don’t let the hours manage you. Taking regular breaks is an important part of a successful day for me. I prefer to take a  few minutes every hour to take a deep breath, grab a drink of water or make a cup of tea and have another look at your to do list. I ask myself the following, have you spent the last hour productively?  Once I’ve evaluated my time, I like to go back to your schedule and recommit to how I’m going to spend the next hour and what I could do to make it better and more productive. 

Step Three: Review
“The power of rituals is their predictability. You do the same thing in the same way over and over again.” Shut your laptop and step away. Looking back and reviewing my day is my favourite part of the day. I get to take time to look at my day and how successful it was or wasn’t. I ask myself questions like, what worked and what didn’t? When you were most focused what distracted you? I recommend asking yourself these questions or similar and use the information to see how you can improve your day tomorrow. 


With the productive days comes the not so productive days. But I think it’s important to remember that we aren’t always going to have good days. If your day isn’t going to great, sit down and prioritise. Train yourself to prioritise and how to do it well. Keep the same focus - choose it deliberately and wisely. 

B x

No comments:

Post a Comment