26 January 2021

How To Get Yourself Ready For A New School Year


I might now be 22 years old & attending university but not much has changed over the years. I still love the fresh start feeling from a new school year & the opportunity to clear out all the old from the previous year. At the moment school might be a bit different for some but now is a great chance to sit down, reflect and adapt to the new normal because let's be honest, sometimes we all need a breather. 

Clear Out Your Workspace 
Again this year, I will be working from home & after having to do this last year due to the pandemic, I quickly came to realise that working from home is just what works best for me as my schedule needs to easily flexible. 

Whether you have a dedicated desk & at-home office like I do, or you are marking do on your kitchen table, having a quick clear out of your space - wherever & whatever it is - is the best place to start. For me that means have a good declutter of my office space. I found that going through every single draw is my best bet to really minimise what I have. I seem to collect an endless amounts of pens, diaries & planners - it takes up way too much space & it's just not needed! I'm always surprised the amount of crap I find but it's always the single best step for prepping for the new school year. 

Get Your Ducks In A Row - Digitally 
Like a lot of you I'm sure, I do most of my work on a device whether that's my MacBook, iMac or iPad. Take this opportunity to have a desktop clear out! I always start with choosing a new background - something fresh & minimal. I don't keep any documents on my desktop instead I keep it all in Finder/iCloud. 

Safari is the next place I have a wee clear out of. I will check that I need all my bookmarks & if not, they get removed. Same with shortcuts & my reading list. Your downloads is something else you can have a wee clear out of but I tend to do this on a more regular basis. 

Emails is another space that you can tidy up. I don't know about you but my emails always need a tidying up so I'll go through all current folders & make sure nothing extra needs following up on. 

Next is documents, images & videos. I make sure there is nothing taking up too much storage that can be removed. I always collect way to many unnecessary images & documents - personally & due to the nature of my job & study - so going through these on a regular basis is always a good idea. 

Set Some Goals 
Set aside any personal goals that you set at the beginning of the year & think about some thing you think you might enjoy achieving academically. If setting academic goals feels a bit stressful right right, go back to a basics & set goals that are more based around wellness, fitness, relationships, friendships & hobbies.

New Rituals & Routines 
Having some sense of structure is key to me feeling motivated & on top of things, which ultimately leaves me feelings happy & calm. Rituals & routines like a weekly workout schedule & weekly selfceare moments are a great place to start. Maybe you want to try a new morning routine, adding meal planning into your life - whatever you fancy adding that will bring a calm & collected vibe into your week. 

I cannot wait for the new school year to officially begin! Let me know what you're doing to get yourself ready for the new school year!

B x 

No comments:

Post a Comment