10 October 2017

Why Do I Keep Trying To Fit In?


There is so much tragedy in our world at the moment and I feel like we just can’t get away from it. With what’s happening in Puerto Rico at the moment after Hurricane Maria to the mass shooting in Las Vegas, it’s never ending. 

It just makes me so incredibly sad and frustrated to know that this is happening in our world and people are suffering because of it. 

Natural disasters aren’t something we have any control over. Peoples lives, homes and belongings, it all can be gone within seconds and I can’t even begin to imagine how that feels to not only have lost everything you’ve ever known but then to have to start to rebuild a life after such devastation. 

And don’t even get me started on the fact that a human can pick up a weapon and ends lives within seconds, it’ll never settle well with me. 

I’ve been thinking about this post for a while now, what I’d talk about and how I’d address how I’m feeling. After the past weeks worth of tragedies I’ve decided to take a different approach. At the end of April, beginning of May I wrote a blogpost titled, ‘Being Branded The Boring One’, which I’ll leave linked but I talked about how I’ve been labelled ‘boring’ because I’m nineteen I don’t go out every weekend, choose get absolutely intoxicated or particularly enjoy going out to bars and night clubs. 

It’s not that I don’t like alcohol or drinking because I do have a few drinks every now and then. And it’s not that I have anything against bars and night clubs, it simply comes down to purely not enjoying myself while I’m there yet I still find myself being pressured, not by others but myself to go out and enjoy those experiences that apparently all teenagers and young adults are meant to have. It needs to stop, the pressure I put on myself to fit in and be like everyone else is ridiculous. 

Life is way to short to be doing shit that doesn’t bring you joy and happiness. Look at our world and the tragedies that occur daily. It’s disgusting and not okay. Nobody should have to experience and know what it’s like to live in constant fear. While I’m fortunate to live in a pretty safe country, tomorrow still isn’t guaranteed. 

My message to you is, be authentic, be grateful, be loving and be happy. Life is to short not to be. I wake up each day thankful that I’m still breathing because I know someone out there didn’t. 

My love, thoughts and prayers go out to everyone and anyone in this world who needs it right now. 

B x

No comments:

Post a Comment