13 November 2016

Spring Morning Routine


I’m seriously in love with my morning routine at the moment so I thought I’d share it with you in a little more detail. While I love doing this routine every morning, this post isn’t about trying to get you to do it too. This post is just my way of sharing what I find works best for me & maybe it’ll help you figure out the same. 

I do this routine almost every morning. I know I’ve mentioned this before, but I’m not a natural born morning person. Setting myself with a morning routine that I really enjoy has helped me & given me the best chance of succeeding. To start with, just choose a few things & be proud of yourself when you do them. This is about you & not about comparing yourself to others. Focus on your strengths rather than your weaknesses.

As you read through what I do, try to think about whether it’s something you might want to include in your routine, don’t just do it because it’s something I do. My morning routine has me feeling productive & awake & ideally you’d want yours to do the same. There are thousands of ways you could end up with that result or something similar, so what you come up with doesn’t necessarily have to look like mine but it does need to work for you personally. 

No.001: Wake Up 
Waking up is the very first thing you do in the morning & although that’s a given I thought I would include it as the first step because it can often be the hardest. Sometimes it can be serious struggle to wake up on the first alarm & we’re often left thinking, ‘Just five more minutes’, then we hit snooze & roll back over into our warm, cozy beds. I’ve definitely been there but it is possible to train yourself to get up when you want. When training myself to get up at a specific time, I would only set one alarm. I use to be a serial alarm setter but I’ve realised that I’m going to get a much better quality sleep if I just have one alarm. I also think it’s good because you know that there’s no back up alarm to rely on. Another thing I did was change the name of the alarm on my phone, I’d either have something motivational or sometimes I’d just name it with some of my favourite emojis. I personally don’t sleep with my phone next to my bed but I know that could be helpful for some of you, to have your phone sitting on the other side of your room so that when your alarm goes off you have to physically get up to switch it off. 

No.002: Open The Curtains & Make The Bed
I always back my bed & open the blinds as soon as I wake up. It’s definitely harder to go back to sleep after you’ve made the bed & let in as much natural light as possible. 

No.003: Washing My Face
The next step in my routine is to head to the bathroom to wash my face. I use The Body Shop Tea Tree Cleanser, it’s one of my current staples in my skincare routine & a favourite of my for a long time now. I will also take this opportunity to tone,moisturise, brush my teeth & all that good stuff. All of these things help me wake up ever more along with feeling super refreshed. 

No.004: Breakfast 
I’m usually super hungry when I get up in the morning so I love to get into the kitchen, get a little bit creative & make something super nutritious, healthy & that will fill me up for the morning. Along with my breakfast I will also have either a cup of tea or a glass of water. I will also take this time to full up my drink bottle with fresh cold water for the day. Taking a drink bottle around with me ensures that I’m drinking the correct recommended about of water. 

No.005: Yoga & Mediation 
The final step to waking myself up in the mornings is doing some exercise. I will do some light yoga & stretches along with a 10 minute mediation. I find that both these actives not only help wake up my body but also put me in the perfect mind set for the rest of the day. 

No.006: Journaling & Writing 
I take time to put pen to paper. A lot of the time I’m working on my computer & although working on a computer is great & typing is a lot more efficient, there is a part of me that missed putting pen to paper. I now have alternative journaling systems, & either way I write about anything & everything on my mind. It’s generally a recap of the day before, a to do list, worries & issues, dreams & goals, & things I’m grateful for.

No.007: Read
I throughly enjoy reading but I never seem to be able to find the time to do so. The morning is now my time to read at least 10 pages of my current reading material. 10 pages is hardly anything but definitely adds up over a short period of time. 

No.008: Great Dressed & Do My Makeup 
Again, seem obvious but it’s so important. I’m sure we’ve all had days where we don’t get out of our pyjamas all day. While it can seem like a dream come true, whenever I’ve decided to stay in my pyjamas all day I’ve got nothing done. So even if I’m at home all day, I at least make sure I get dressed, it changes the whole vibe of the day. 

How To Create Your Own Routine: 
As I said at the beginning, this post isn’t about me trying to tell you what your morning routine should & shouldn’t have in it. In fact, I recommend starting from scratch & build up your own routine. I didn’t just go from zero to this. Over time, I’ve added things that I think might work for me one at a time & possibly even removed things I didn’t find working so well. 

Focus on one or two things & do them every morning for a month, then add another thing the next month & another the following month. I’ve found that if you want to create a routine that you’ll stick to & actually keep doing, don’t try to do everything at once. 

When creating your routine choose the things you want to do, not what other people tell you to do or you feel you should do. The whole routine thing is really going to work best when you have your own reasons & motivation behind each step. 

Always remember what is in your routine is totally up to you. Do what is going to work best for you.

B x

No comments:

Post a Comment